Thursday, January 3, 2013

The Artist (2011) **1/2

The-Artist

When it comes to artistic achievement, director Michel Hazanavicius’ The Artist (2011) should be duly lauded. Nominated for ten Academy Awards, it took home Oscars for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Original Score (Ludovic Bource), Costume Design (Mark Bridges), and Best Actor (Jean Dujardin). Making a silent, black and white movie in 2011 took guts, and in the end it paid off for Hazanavicius and Dujardin. Still, that doesn’t mean I have to love this film—which I obviously didn’t as indicated by my **1/2 rating. I liked Hugo (2011) far more than this and was beyond shocked that my husband Mr. Clooney’s performance in The Descendants (2011) was beat out by a man who spoke less than five words. Perhaps this sounds like sacrilege to some, but I don’t care, I just wasn’t that impressed.

Dujardin plays George Valentin, a silent-era film star on top of Hollywoodland in 1927. As handsome as John Gilbert and athletically gifted as Rudolph theartist21Valentino, Valentin is admired by his fans and valued by his studio, Kinograph. But things change dramatically for Valentin when his studio head, Al Zimmer (John Goodman), decides to scrap silent films in favor of the sound era and replaces his “old” actors with fresh, young faces like Peppy Miller (Bérénice Bejo), a woman who got her start in Tinseltown because of Valentin. By 1931, Valentin is pawning and auctioning off his belongings and is mired in alcoholism and depression. It is left up to Peppy to bring Valentin back from the brink and reinsert him in the celluloid frame.

So, what did I like about The Artist? Guillaume Schiffman’s cinematography is brilliant. He may have lost the Oscar to Robert Richardson’s work in Hugo, but coming in second to that effort is no reason to be ashamed. Schiffman shot The Artist in color and at a frame rate of 22 fps (to mimic the silent era’s standard speed). Every detail was matched to the equipment used in 1920s silent films. I have said it numerous times, but I’ll say it again: The Artist 2there is no more beautiful cinematography than a well-composed, pristine black and white shot movie.

The other two things that I like about The Artist are Bejo and Uggie (who plays Jack the dog). While I couldn’t help but admire Dujardin’s handsomeness, it is Bejo who stood out the most to me. Her performance adds depth to this film, and it isn’t difficult to notice that Dujardin’s best scenes are the ones in which he appears with Bejo. She has what they call in France je ne sais quoi. While Uggie might not be described quite the same uggie-the-dog-in-the-artistway as Bejo, he is absolutely adorable. Of course, I love dogs, so he had an extra advantage.

In the end, I am not a huge admirer of The Artist. I respect it as a daring piece of art in a cinema world infested with CGI and intellectual bankruptcy, but it just wasn’t “all that” to me. Still, I think it should be respected for its artistic integrity and outstanding cinematography. But, I must say this once more: my husband, Mr. Clooney, was robbed.

10 comments:

  1. While I like "The Artist" I also felt a bit disapointed. It was a bit too much of a caricature. Though on the upside I found the parallel to the story of John Gilbert interesting. That is a story worth telling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw elements of both Gilbert and Valentino in Dujardin's George. I think a lot of people may have been a little let down by the movie, but were afraid to say so because it received so much critical acclaim.

      Delete
  2. Kim,
    I appreciate your honest approach here. While I was thrilled that a silent film could pull Best Picture in 2012, the film was so hyped that I expected a bit more. Hugo was just beyond! I think I wrote on Greco's review that it was a 'visual orgasm.

    I think Uggie was a bright spot for a lot of us as he was such an adorable reminder of Asta. At least I was reminded of that adorable cur while watching it.

    Happy New Year, Kim! All though I'm late, wishing you all the best and happiness in 2013. : )
    Page

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Page, happy New Year to you, too. Like you, I greatly admire Hugo. I think it was phenomenal and I loved the story.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on a thoughtful piece, Kim. Count me among the acclaimers, I guess. I loved The Artist. I felt the only time it put a foot wrong was in the nightmare sequence midway, where George is tormented by sound; I got the point, but still thought the scene was ill-advised. I agree with you about Hugo (for my money, the best movie of the year), but I had no problem whatever with giving the award to The Artist; for me the two pictures were practically companion pieces.

    The parallel I saw to George's character wasn't Gilbert or Valentino, but Douglas Fairbanks and Gene Kelly (in his Don Lockwood persona, that is). I saw many echoes of Singin' in the Rain, and that's part of what I loved: Hazanavicius paid tribute not only to silent movies, but to the preeminent movie about the transition to sound. George Valentin was what Don Lockwood would have been without Kathy Selden and Cosmo Brown, and what Douglas Fairbanks pretty much was, albeit without George's rock-bottom fall.

    And finally, your point about George Clooney is well-taken, but I say the one who was really robbed at last year's Oscars was Berenice Bejo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim, I agree about that nightmare scene. I never understood why he was traumatized by sound--was it because he was a foreigner? Who knows. I also agree about the parallels with Singin' in the Rain. Also, a good point about Fairbanks. You may have something with Bejo being robbed. I've seen 4 of the 5 nominated performances (haven't seen Mara in TGWTDT), and Bejo and Davis seemed more worthy than Streep.

      Delete
  4. While I might have liked "Hugo" just a tad more, I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed "The Artist." George definitely reminded me of Fairbanks (his wife even felt like Mary Pickford at the end of their marriage). There is no doubt the film was a parlor trick, but it was one that entertained me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FC: I don't know, I saw Hugo first and I think that just takes so much shine of The Artist for me. Good point about Fairbanks/Pickford and George and his wife.

      Delete
  5. I'm someone who unabashedly loves "The Artist" including the nightmare scenario. I thought it was brilliant. True, the story is not original, but I thought this movie breathed new life into it.

    I also loved "Hugo" - perfectly cast and beautifully filmed.

    I will always regard as 2011 was a wonderful year because of these two films...and a few others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, 2011 was a great year for films. I adored Hugu and The Help--and I enjoyed many others.

      Delete